Contemporary society has been characterized by a set of events that contribute to the design of a new social order. We can say that this new order is the result of different phenomena: political, economic, cultural and scientific, associated with the greater importance given to knowledge, information and technology.
In this context, I believe it is very important to sensitize children, their families and their educators to issues that are very important and that contribute to the development of children more aware of their values and more in conformity with their desires, who will be able to make choices for a better world – a fairer, more human, more supportive and healthy world.
This project is composed of two cycles directed at two age groups:
- Understand and build – 7 to 9 years of age
- Our role for a better society – 10 to 12 years of age
The project focus – which began in 2014, serving children from 7 to 9 years of age, with a second cycle added in 2015, for children from 10 to 12 years old – is to develop children more aware of their values, so they can become transforming agents for a better world.
- Sensitize children to self-knowledge, so they are able to recognize their own feelings, emotions, desires;
- Provide children with knowledge of others, respecting feelings, emotions, and desires different from their own;
- Explore issues such as discrimination, prejudice, exclusion etc.
- Help children appreciate what they have, and also respect others just as they are;
- Work out issues such as loss, frustration, changes and situations of conflict;
- Strengthen children’s self-esteem;
- Question children about dilemma situations such as, friendship, trust and honesty;
- Provide elements for reflection on the issues of “having” in contemporary society (consumerism);
- Strengthen children so they can make choices and more conscientious decisions.
During preparation of the project, a Strategic Alliance was established with the Companhia das Letrinhas publishing house, for the purpose of contributing with fun and educational content.